03 August 2007

Seatofour Pants Air, First Class

I had booked us to stay a week in Taupo [map] at the lovely Lakeside Villas. A bit of a bore aesthetically, but ideally located, allegedly accessible and an apartment-style suite. We are considering Taupo because it is a time-tested holiday destination already with local activities to suit our accessible needs. We'd pretty much be buying in to an already successful, tried and true venture. However, I find the whole thing very boring despite its proximity to Rotorua [map] where We had a great time taking in the smells and colors our last visit.
Champagne Springs of Wai-O-Tapu.
You may tell by my tone, I wasn't too excited about this. However, it was a sound destination, it was accessible and ... well, that's it. In true follow-up fashion, I phoned the Villas the day before our arrival. Actually, I attempted to phone them for an entire day, but their line was engaged so I sent off an email. A representative from the Villas phoned me the next morning, the morning of our arrival, and, long story short, we learned that not only was our suite not accessible, it was on the second floor. After struggling with schedules and the prospect of refunds, I was surprisingly unnerved by the whole deal whereas Andy was stressed to the max. After a few hours exchanging phone calls and speaking to many resort staffers, the resort liason called us back with an alternative. He asked if we'd be amenable to staying up in Paihia [more here for my reference] [map] at the Bishop Selwyn (link later).

Paihia is MUCH farther up on my list of Great Areas to Scout in New Zealand. Nearby is Kerikeri, my first love of the North Island, Mangonui and Russell. Also, the resort liason (Ken) got us a much better apartment at the Bishop Selwyn than we would have had at the Lakeside Villas.


All in all, I'm very happy with this bit of serendipity.






List of Cities Areas of Interest
and Why
  • Northland - North shore area of Auckland. Close to airport, major city and countless attractions
  • Bay of Islands - Reasonably priced property, more rural, more options for our own resort activities.
  • Wellington
  • Taupo/Rotorua - Established holiday destination, Volcanic and historic activities.
  • Coromandel Peninsula - Beautiful. Remote and loads of outdoor activities.
  • Perth
  • Southwestern Australia - Wine country
  • Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Gold Coast - Great Barrier Reef

NOTE: Ask me about the "Gimp On The Go Alliance."
Yet to come: Photos so far at Flickr

No comments: